A welcome to readers

As a resident of this planet for more than four fifths of a century, I have enjoyed both successes and disappointments in a wide variety of vocations, avocations, and life experiences. This blog satisfies my desire to share some thoughts and observations--trenchant and prosaic--with those who are searching for diversions which are interesting, poignant and occasionally funny. I also plan to share recommendations about good/great movies I've watched and books and articles which I've found particularly mind-opening, entertaining, instructive. In addition, I can't pass up the opportunity to reflect publicly on how I am experiencing the so-called Golden Years. Write anytime:
markmarv2004@yahoo.com

Monday, July 13, 2015

CHEFS, AIRPORT SECURITY AND MOTORCYCLES

For your summer vacation or weekend reading,  I commend two recent books that came into my library quite by accident. Both are by Matthew Crawford, a serious scholar at the Institute for Advance Studies in Culture at the University of Virginia.  He is a thinker as well as a the owner of a motorcycle repair shop.  The combination intrigued me,  of course--my kind of guy.  The titles of the books and their subtitles should tempt you  as well, but only if you are also one of my kind of guys.

The World Beyond Your Head: On Becoming and Individual in an Age of Distraction 

and

Shopcraft as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work.

Let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment