A welcome to readers

As a resident of this planet for more than four fifths of a century, I have enjoyed both successes and disappointments in a wide variety of vocations, avocations, and life experiences. This blog satisfies my desire to share some thoughts and observations--trenchant and prosaic--with those who are searching for diversions which are interesting, poignant and occasionally funny. I also plan to share recommendations about good/great movies I've watched and books and articles which I've found particularly mind-opening, entertaining, instructive. In addition, I can't pass up the opportunity to reflect publicly on how I am experiencing the so-called Golden Years. Write anytime:
markmarv2004@yahoo.com

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Have you heard this one? (this blog not what it seems...)

From Blanche Knott, author of the multi-volume "Truly Tasteless Jokes" collections:

A drunk walks out of a bar and spots a nun standing at a bus stop. He walks up to her and punches her in the face. When she falls to the ground, he screams, “Not so tough after all, are ya, Batman?”........OR.......Little girl: "Daddy, daddy, my toes are in pain."  Father: "Shut up or I'll nail your other foot to the floor."

You must remember these incredibly unsavory jokes which circulated wherever sophisticated folks met in the 80's.  The jokes were horribly gross, yet we all laughed and shared them at cocktail parties, the water cooler at work, and even in the church vestibule after the service. I'm not bringing the jokes up  in my blog to remind you of former gleeful times  (Q: What's the black stuff between an elephant's toes? A: Slow natives),  but to introduce you to another side of the famous--clearly intelligent--collector of those awful jokes, a woman who published multi volumes of them which sold many hundreds of thousands of copies. Now she's speaking to a different audience in a more mature way

Blanche Knott is the pseudonym of an incredibly brilliant, articulate writer, Ashton Applewhite,  who currently is authoring a blog which I highly recommend. Its title is: Staying Vertical: Dispatches From the Old Old on Work and Happiness.  As a Senior "with tenure" it pleases me to read about folks who are even more senior than I am who are still making waves in this incredible journey called life. One glance at Applewhite's blog will tempt you to put her on your "bookmark" list to read regularly. 
She presents a wide variety of very human stories in a brief, often humorous way.  I promise you, there are no tasteless jokes included--such as one of my favorites:

Q. What do you find in a clean nose?
A. Finger prints.

Seriously, give Applewhite a try; you won't be disappointed.  <www.stayingvertical.com>
 


No comments:

Post a Comment